The Dangers of Trees Hanging over Your Roof
Let’s face it. Trees provide well-deserved shade when you’re outside in Florida’s hot, baking sun but did you know that just one branch from a tree could cost you hundreds, or even thousands, of dollars in unnecessary roof repairs?
● Obstructing Gutters – The purpose of gutters is to allow water to drain off your roof and away from your house. When gutters are clogged with leaves and other debris, the water accumulates and, as a result, that water is sent straight down your foundation where it can begin to stain and even rot your siding.
● Unwelcomed Guests – Trees are home to many critters and a playhouse for others. Squirrels and raccoons are notorious for using trees as a source of food and shelter. A branch leaning over your roof will provide them with access to your home. Don’t be surprised if you find that a critter has taken up residence in your attic!
● Shingle Damage – Branches can further scrape off the asphalt granules that most shingles are made of causing the shingles to have a shorter life span because of the excessive damage. This damage will also weaken the shingle and place you at risk for roof leaks and possibly losing your shingles during a storm.
● Wet Roof – Shade is nice just not so nice for your roof. As a tree shades your home, it hinders the evaporation of any remaining moisture allowing it to soak into your roof causing decay, leaks, and increased energy bills.
● Boom! – Did you hear something? Oh! It was a branch falling on your roof!
Overhanging branches will not live forever. Be especially vigilant to survey your property, especially after a storm, and remove any damaged or dead branches before they have the potential to fall and hurt your roof or worse, you!
Chase Roofing and Contracting, Inc., serves Dade, Broward, and Palm Beach Counties in South Florida as well as the Tampa Bay and Orlando area. Call us at 305-ROOFING or 813-275-9400 to schedule your roof inspection today.